ARC Review: 99 Day



Title: 99 Days
Author: Katie Cotugno
Series: N/A, Standalone
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Publication Date: April 21st, 2015
My Rating: 2.5 Stars


  Day 1: Julia Donnelly eggs my house my first night back in Star Lake, and that’s how I know everyone still remembers everything—how I destroyed my relationship with Patrick the night everything happened with his brother, Gabe. How I wrecked their whole family. Now I’m serving out my summer like a jail sentence: Just ninety-nine days till I can leave for college, and be done.

  Day 4: A nasty note on my windshield makes it clear Julia isn’t finished. I’m expecting a fight when someone taps me on the shoulder, but it’s just Gabe, home from college and actually happy to see me. “For what it’s worth, Molly Barlow,” he says, “I’m really glad you’re back.”

  Day 12: Gabe got me to come to this party, and I’m actually having fun. I think he’s about to kiss me—and that’s when I see Patrick. My Patrick, who’s supposed to be clear across the country. My Patrick, who’s never going to forgive me.

  This book was 'meh' for me. I was really conflicted on what rating to give it at first because some parts I loved, some parts I just hated. After much consideration though, I guess the good almost equals the bad, thus I gave it 2.5 stars.

  This book was not what I expected at all. I expected this book to be a journey of resolving the conflict in the synopsis, namely the cheating with her boyfriend's brother. However, when I read the book, I found it to be just the same thing again, only now with the other brother. She cheated again, and because of that I found the book somehow.. pointless. I was really disappointed because I didn't see the growth or journey of the character. The whole story went against morals and I didn't like the ending, but I guess these are my problem, not the author's.

  On the positive side, there were many instances when I felt connected to the character, and it tugged on my heartstrings, especially the cruelties she endured. It's not to say that I experienced those things, but I really felt connected. Another thing is that this book was really realistic, and after all that, I still really enjoyed some of the parts, so there you go. This book was just not for me.

Labels: , , , ,